Thursday, October 07, 2004

British things and baby sweaters

People who know me well already know that I'm kind of an Anglophile (did a semester abroad and still have many UK friends), particularly where music and TV are concerned (alert! The Boston Museum of Fine Arts will be showing British TV Advertisements of 2003 starting October 13th). So, I am finding it kind of fun to be using the WeasleyAlong yarn that comes from New Lanark, Scotland (i.e. the Yarn Warehouse kit). It admittedly isn't the softest yarn in the world, but New Lanark is an historic mill and uses restored equipment to produce its yarn. American readers, think Sturbridge Village or Colonial Williamsburg as equivalents, although not having been to New Lanark I can't tell you whether they have the same sometimes annoying "in-character" docents like they do at the above spots and at the now-closed Museum of the Moving Image in London. Well, I'm assuming the yarn I'm using is produced that way. I find it nicer to think that it is. If you know for a fact that it is actually mass-manufactured in East Kilbride, please don't tell me. Navy Weasley sweater back progress depicted below, along with one nearly finished Plush baby sweater. Still have half a front and sleeves for the second to go - baby shower on 10/16. If I have enough white yarn left I'll do a crab stitch edging in addition to I-cord ties.




2 Comments:

Blogger alison said...

Weasley is looking great so far! Do you like the YW pattern? I wonder if it's the same as the Rowan one. Does it come with a schematic?

PS - the Plush sweater is so cute! Plush is so perfect for baby clothes.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hi Katie,

Nice job on the baby sweater - wow! I'm suspecting that you had a baby...will write soon!

Heather

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home