Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Okay, maybe socks can wait...

My Harry Potter sweater kit from Yarn Warehouse in the UK was waiting for me when I got home! Only took six days from placing the order, so if you want to join the knitalong there's plenty of time. The yarn is 90% wool, 10% silk...we may have scratchiness issues with the boy, but he can wear a t-shirt under it. He was very excited to see the package once I told him what it was. He asked why there was a small hank of tan yarn, and I told him it was for the R on the front of the sweater. He asked if he could see the yarn, examined it carefully, and said, "But I don't *see* an R on it!" What a cute kid. I am going to need some help with the British pattern instructions though. Anyone know whether "Mark armhole at nn cms" means simply to place markers there, or would I decrease a stitch or two as most patterns require for armhole shaping?




2 Comments:

Blogger alison said...

How great that you got the kit so quickly. Glad that the little one is excited about it!

About the pattern, is there a diagram. If there aren't any decreases for the armhole (and it sounds like there aren't) then it's probably a drop shoulder design. So that means that the body is straight and the sleeve cap will be straight. This makes the knitting and sewing nice and easy - straight rows all the way! The only thing you have to know is exactly where to sew the sleeves in. Clearly they start at the shoulder, but you need to know how far down they go. That's why they're having you mark at a certain depth. You can use a stitch marker, safety pin or tie a scrap piece of yarn around that stitch, and then you'll know how far down to sew in the sleeve.

Hope that helped!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm so envious! You have both your pattern and your yarn. I'm still waiting for the pattern to arrive.
Oh well, I can live vicariously through your blog while waiting...

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home