Wednesday, August 29, 2007

You call it corn. We call it maize.

We were supposed to go on vacation last week, to a beach house in a warmer clime. Unfortunately, on the last play of the last game of his summer softball series, my better half re-ruptured his ACL and tore the meniscus in his knee. Yes, the same knee on which he had ACL replacement surgery two years ago. He'll have to have a repeat surgery in October once the swelling subsides. I have been nurse wife and primary driver for the past week.

With luck, we'll be back in the house by then. We're still waiting for the contractors to finish the tile, painting, and carpeting. Also waiting on the Marmoleum flooring for the kitchen. Waiting, waiting. I also spent three days of what was supposed to be vacation week chasing down Craigslist leads for a Sept-only rental, as our landlord had been telling us all summer that they wanted us out at the end of August. I finally managed to locate a tiny, expensive place near the T, and booked movers. When I called the landlord's office they said "Oh, we thought you wanted to stay! We haven't rented your place and you can stay for Sept if you want to." Gak. Luckily I hadn't put a deposit on the new place yet, so we can stay put. BH still won't be able to help with the moving, but happily the moving company rescheduled with no problems.

To cheer myself up I went to a yarn sale, where I bought some sock yarn made of corn. I like knitting with it - it sort of feels like my hands have been dusted with cornstarch. Not to overlook the soybeans and shellfish, I also bought a skein of Tofutsies. I wonder what Halacha would say about shrimp-based yarn?

So yeah, there's my week: emergency room visit, literally watching paint dry, poring over Craigslist, buying sock yarn.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bostonworkerbee said...

poor thing! I'm sorry to hear about your DH's injury and housing stress. I'm glad your short-term rental thing worked out! Corn yarn sounds intriguing...

9:30 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

1) Better Half's softball career is over now, right??

2) I want some Marmoleum. That stuff is cool!

3)

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home