Monday, August 06, 2007

Birthday Bear

Today my son R turns 8. I can hardly believe it. Those little feet that once wore hospital bracelets (whose info we nervously Photoshopped out when posting the first pictures of him online) are now wearing some of my own socks, at least when one of us mistakenly puts my socks in R's drawer. I am trying not to let this be an excuse to not finish making socks for myself. Me: "Hmm, getting kinda tired of continuing the baby cable rib on the instep...maybe I'll just start the toe here and give these to R."

R is a great kid - funny, smart, kind, an amazing big brother and tremendously enjoyable company. He'll still let me hold his hand to cross the street and for a few seconds after. I know that's not going to last much longer. Man, I'm tearing up just thinking what a wonderful kid he is. Or, perhaps it is just leftover from watching a rerun of Dirty Dancing last night. I'm not an overly sentimental person, but I have never, repeat never, not needed a tissue when Jennifer Grey does the leap into Patrick Swayze's arms during the ending. I am not made of stone.

Happy Birthday Bear! I love you.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it amazing how quickly they grow up? i blinked and my oldest is now 13. how did that happen?

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to R!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Happy birthday, R! I hope you have a great day!!

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tell my kids not matter how old they are they will always get a hug a kiss and i love yous from me. even when they make a fuss they always know. and i think they welcome it even when they don't want me to realize it.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Wow! Happy birthday, R! I bet you're taller than I am by now. I remember when you were a wee one running around your mom's and my office.

8:09 AM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

What a cutie!! Happy Birthday R!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Ben Brophy said...

Wow, I can't believe how big he is. Freaky ;)

11:47 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Happy Birthday to the big boy!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home