Wednesday, March 23, 2005

You've got questions? We've got answers.

My friend Grumperina asked me to answer the following questionnaire. I will do so forthwith. I f you want *me* to interview *you*, leave a comment and I'd be happy to oblige.

1. I know you knit and crochet. Is there any type of project that you would only crochet or only knit?

I would probably only crochet blankets, just because it goes faster. Although the first project I ever started (way back in college) was going to be a knitted version of a Hudson Bay point blanket. I still like the idea in theory, but I got bored of the vast expanses of beige garter stitch and abandoned it. I like knitted fabric better, so would probably not crochet adult size sweaters. I have crocheted baby sweaters though.

2. Do you plan to teach your children how to knit and/or crochet, especially your cutie Z? (R is currently into video games and LEGOs, as far as I can tell). Will you suggest, highly recommend, or require that your children learn?

I won't force them, but I'm happy to teach them if they seem willing and will offer. I don't think my mom ever expressly offered to teach me, and I don't think I ever asked her to. She was thrilled though when I learned and I told her it was because I wanted to make things for my kids like she had done for me. Not sure R would be into it, but you never know. Maybe he'll want to make knitted Power Ranger accessories? I have a feeling Z will want to - she loves stuffed animals and dress up clothes.

3. What is the one yarn that you’ve always wanted, but don’t have? And why don’t you have it yet?!?

Well, I do have a high itchiness factor, so I'd love something like Muench Touch Me or some cashmere. However, as my kids frequently treat me as "Mommy the Human Napkin" I am trying to stick to easily washable fibers for the near future.

4. What is the most unusual or embarrassing thing that’s happened to you at a local yarn shop?

When I took a refresher class at the Knitting Room (after not knitting for like 10 years) the owner eventually determined I had misremembered how to knit - I was knitting through the back loop! Because I knit continental and she didn't, it took her a really long time to figure this out. She even dragged out the Vogue Knitting guide to check, and was trying to figure out how to say nicely "yo, doofus, you're doing it wrong!"

5. What do you do to relax when you’re really tense? And if it’s knitting/crochet, then pick another answer :).

I eat dark chocolate. These days I'm trying to do less of that and instead go to the gym and work out. My husband gives a good back rub when I need one too. :)

OK, anyone else want to be questioned?

Currently on the needles:

-yellow hoodie for Z (back done, front halfway, this week on hold for...)
-pink bunny for Z's Easter basket (trying this pattern. Usually I find knitted toys scary but this seems cute.)
-socks for R (one done, second up to heel)
-slipper socks for niece's birthday in April (seeing if I can get two out of one ball of Classic Elite Star, in teal)
-my cable trim raglan in Due Chine (sweater body is done; did cabling for one sleeve last night, neckline and bottom trim to go. And may make it longer. Will probably bring it to the seaming party on Saturday for group input).

Geez, that's a lot on the needles. No wonder they call me dilettante.

1 Comments:

Blogger grumperina said...

Thanks for answering those! Dark chocolate - I like the sound of that :).

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home