Thursday, August 04, 2005

Three socks and a ruffly thing

Et voila! My sparkly Fortissima Colori Disco socks:

A big *Mwah* again to Alasdair for giving me the yarn, although in truth Alasdair and I do not really have a Mwah kind of relationship, mainly a nod-hi-across-coffeeshop-table kind of relationship, but still, he's a cool guy and definitely worth sitting next to at a yarn swap. And want to know what's freaky about the socks? One was made cuff down (Yankee Knitter pattern), while the other was made trying Lucy from Mind's Eye's toe-up pattern. Yet...the socks match almost perfectly. I'm sure the yarn was designed that way, but somehow the whole thing is just a bit...spooky.

Cynthia from the MIT group must be giving me subliminal messages because, yep, here's another sock in progress. I call this the Power Ranger sock as the Trampoline yarn is of such bright primary colors I expect Dr. Tommy Oliver to appear at any moment. OK, maybe he's the wrong color - Kira, Connor and Ethan then. Yes, I watch Power Rangers with my son. It's quality knitting time!



Alert readers will also notice what appears to be a pastel pretzel in the above photo. In truth it is the beginning of a "Potato Chip Scarf" in KnitPicks Twist, Cotton Candy color. I like the yarn very much - it is less garish that I thought it might be based on the catalog photo. It's a nice muted lavender color. I'm making this and a few other scarves to sell at the next school fundraiser - last year they asked me to make furry scarves, and I'm hoping some non-fur but still novelty will also sell. Not liking the pattern though, kfb'ing in every stitch. I think there will be 720 stitches to bind off. The KnitPicks catalog made it sound cute and effortless - something about not being able to knit just one, in that chirpy tone they have. No, Kelley, I think it may just be one potato chip scarf for me, thanks all the same. I like your yarn though.

Oh, and Bob is done but I keep forgetting to photograph it - Z got a maple syrup and ketchup handprint on it so it's in the wash. And the ribbon pullover and I are in a standoff over the sleeves, so it is in timeout currently.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freaky story about the socks, but they turned out great!

And I'm with you on the scarf. Sorry, but binding off 720 stitches isn't the same as eating a can of Pringles.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll stop complaining about the 540 stitches I just bound off on my Leaf Lace shawl! The socks are beautiful.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knit my first potato chip scarf on big yarn and did fewer stitches - not too difficult, but not very attractive. I am binding off my second tonight and HATING it. I will not be making another one.

HOWEVER, I have adapted it for crochet - I will be posting my pattern tomorrow. MUCH MUCH easier.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH, and GORGEOUS socks.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Thea said...

Hi - from your email on my site, it sounds like you have a few things you could do for fall. Jury's out on whether I'll be able to master the cables on my purple sweater, but the yarn's already on order so I'm in either way. Am way jealous you get to stop at Windsor Button! Great socks - tonight it feels like you can even wear 'em...

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home