Monday, September 25, 2006

All praise to the Amodex

I'll get to the knitting stuff in a minute. I need to wax lyrical for a few moments about a product that has made me truly happy - Amodex. Two Saturdays ago, Z decided that she would pack a significant portion of her "terrible two-ness" into one morning. Before I got out of bed, she grabbed one of my necklaces, put it on, then couldn't figure out the clasp so just yanked it off and broke the thin leather cord. While I was in the shower, she grabbed a lipstick from my purse, smeared it all over her face and on a curtain, then tried to put it back in my purse sans-cap leaving a trail of berry-colored stains. Next, at temple for "Tot Shabbat" she grabbed a Sharpie at the name tag table and I foolishly tried to wrest it away from her. In the process of keeping her trophy, she drew a four-inch line of black Sharpie across the front of her new Hanna Andersson dress. Oy Gevalt. DH restrained me from selling Z on eBay that afternoon.

I did a web search for ink stains on cotton. Tried a few of the recommended solutions. Zilch. I found a pointer to Amodex, and DH brought some back from the grocery store. The instructions warned not to wet an ink stain before using the product (oops), but I followed them just the same. I blotted, I scrubbed, I rinsed. It took three applications, but now the four-inch angry back stain is now a half-inch faint grey line. I'm sure it'd be gone completely if I hadn't wet the stain first. You would only notice it if you were looking for it, and Z isn't much for sitting still anyway so there you go. Thank you Amodex! Now someone please explain to me how in the space of ten years I've gone from someone who gets really excited over having little-known (sorry) New Zealand rock musicians autograph her concert t-shirt to someone who gets really excited over stain removal products.

Knitting. No, I don't have photos. My DH hogs the camera (hi honey). Finished: two finger-knitting scarves and the Cotton Braid sweatshirt. The latter is very drapey, i.e. not exactly flattering. But it's comfy and is an alternative to the old college sweatshirts i would ordinarily throw on to go outside and collect the newspaper. And it cost $10 to make. OK, maybe I'm a little bitter I don't look like a Rowan model in it.

In progress: Clapotis in Filati FF Must, finishing straight rows; Toe Socks in Trekking XXL (really like this yarn!) - one sock done; Falling Leaves scarf in Valley Yarns Stockbridge, about 6 inches done (btw, this confirms it, I'm sensitive to alpaca - the yarn feels vaguely like fiberglass to me and it's a blend). Must work on Sitcom Chic, Cinxia, and Picovoli to clear conscience so I can start R's new sweater.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amodex, must remember the Amodex as LL approaches her twos. eek.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

A Hannah Anderson dress? I'd have contemplated eBay too!

I've been marvelling over mommy brain too- I can't believe how much of my waking energy is devoted to keeping track of our binky inventory.

2:51 PM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Yep, been there. eBay is a great idea! Now I'm off to buy some Amodex for that tea stain on my white button down.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that little stinker! i am going to have to get some of that amodex stuff, even though my two have past that stage, there are still sharpie occurences around here

4:22 PM  
Blogger Nadira said...

Ah, kids. You should ask my mom for my story sometime. It involved breaking a vase, flooding the upstairs sink (such that it dripped down through the ceiling and soaked the kitchen rug), breaking a glass coffee table, and then dumping out all the white powders in the kitchen cupboards and smearing them into the newly-wet rug. Apparently my mom was very near killing me (she says it quite seriously), when a friend called, and said "Oh, don't worry. It's hard now, but kids like that do really well in college." Prescience, perhaps?

BTW, that was due to severe allergies which manifested themselves as hyperactivity. We were doing elimination diet tests for tomatoes that day... Might be worth getting the little one tested if this happens often, especially if you can link it to a food or environmental factor. It can take a while to properly diagnose, but the treatments are effective.

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might be able to get the remainder of the stain out with rubbing alcohol.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second your Hail to Amodex as my one and a half year old decided to wake up one morning before me and with black sharpie marker draw around his father's body as he lay sleeping on our 3 day old tan micro suede couches! It looked like a crme scene when my husband got up. I sear I cried so hard I couldn't breathe! Frantically I looked on the internet an low and behold I found Amodex, and BONUS it was like less than 5 dollars in my local shoprite. I follwoed the directions and ALL of the black marker stains came right out. Yes it took me about 2 hours and two applications but beats having to pay 100 per couch cushion!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home