Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Knitting entropy

The whack weather in Boston means I keep changing projects. I was about a third of the way through Rosebud during our freezing rainy spring when I had to make a brief detour into the Haiku sweaters (baby Penelope was born two days after sweaters were completed, yay!). When it was time to restart Rosebud, the weather was warming up and it was not appealing to work on a long-sleeved garment. Then came the Wild and Woolly sale, at which I bought some Sunsette to make Bob. Bob was nearly half done (no photos yet) when it hit 94 degrees with about 90 percent humidity. Whoa. Don't think I'd be wearing a rayon-based Bob soon in this heat. I had to stop by W&W again to pick up some needles for Grumperina, and while there a sale bag of Crystal Palace Choo-Choo in dusty blue jumped right into my arms. It did! Really! Hey, were *you* there to claim otherwise? And that is how I came to start the Zen pullover, which really now is a Choo-Choo (note to yarn makers - kindly cut out the cutesy and "hip" yarn names like Choo-Choo and Bling-Bling. I am not 6 years old and am not some hoodie-clad trim [to quote Que Sera Sera] who wants to pimp her ride and hang with J.Lo.) pullover:



Here's what the Choo-Choo looks like close up:



It's kind of cool, and this is coming from someone with a general disdain for foofy ribbon yarn. I like how the knitted fabric looks kind of like Liberty print.

Oh, and the Knitting Room in Arlington is for sale. If they don't find a buyer they will close next year. Jackie and Laura said the shop is doing well, but they have become less enthralled with working retail as opposed to knitting as a hobby. I mentioned this offhandedly to my husband, who looked at me in a horrified way and said 'Don't even think about it." I wasn't! I grew up in retail and I know it's not for me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You totally had me fooled! I thought you would be all into Choo-Choo and Bling Bling and hot pink JLo stretch pants with "princess" on the butt!!!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mentioned the sale of The Knitting Room to my husband as well. He had the same reaction. Hunh!

Oh, and Grumperina, to truly be JLo the stretch pants need to say "juicy".

7:30 PM  
Blogger Laura Neal said...

Retail does bite, doesn't it? I did that stint for 10 long horrible years. Maybe someone will buy it with no retail experience and save a yarn shop.

12:27 PM  
Blogger christine said...

*completely retail naive* *whistles*

i visited the knittingroom once, about 30 seconds before they were going to close, but they were so accomodating and friendly. while there i fell in love with berroco quest in st. bart's (metallic blue-green == swimming robot). cute space, too.

hope someone saves it! gotta have somewhere to fondle yarn after a lovely meal at blue ribbon bbq. mmmmm...

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home