Monday, August 23, 2004

Knitting teaches perseverance

I was halfway done with the front of my ribbon t-shirt when I noticed a weird stitch about six rows back. It wasn't a dropped stitch, but it just didn't look right. I tried to fix it with a crochet hook, but that didn't work. Then I tried ripping back to that point, but the ribbon was so slippery that I couldn't get it back on the needles in pattern. I tried ripping a little further to a line of garter stitch, but it just kept unravelling. I gave up and went to bed, and took it to the LYS the next morning. Laura couldn't figure out the problem either and suggested just "unknitting" back to the error. I began doing that but in the process started dropping stitches, so in frustration I ripped out down to where I had begun the second ball of Must. I'm trying to maintain a sense of calm about it, pretending I am a monk destroying a sand mandala as a symbol of life's impermanence. Or something. Am going to rethink whether to make this pattern anyway - the Must is kinda heavy when knit tightly.

As a reprieve I started on a scarf for the school fundraiser. I'm using a ball of Austermann Samoa, which looks like pussy willow buds (or soft Kix cereal) on thin string. It is very fun to work with and extremely touchable. Next I will start on Anouk before my daughter becomes too old to fit into the 18 month size!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home