Monday, April 11, 2005

Cable trim raglan

After a weekend of sunny, 60+ degree weather, a cold snap means I can wear my newly-finished cable trim raglan today. I bought the pattern from the Patternworks catalog. It was billed as a top-down raglan, and I naively assumed that the top-down part included the cables on the neck, cuffs and bottom, but no. It is basically a pattern for a top-down raglan in bulky yarn (written for Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande, I used Lana Grossa Due Chine), with cable trim worked separately and then sewn on - sorry, the photo is lousy...get a real camera, I know:



I liked learning how to do the top down part, but I think sweaters in bulky weight are not particularly flattering on me. But, the sweater is cozy and theoretically machine-washable, so I'm happy. I don't think I did the neck quite right - I have to adjust it a bit to get an appealing funnel neck thing happening. Either I made the neck trim too long (instructions were very vague) or the yarn is different enough that it doesn't drape as much as the Alpaca Grande. And I made roughly five feet of cable trim, in installments. I will posit that cables are the Rice Krispie Treats of knitting - ridiculously easy to make, but with an end result that looks both better and more difficult than the effort involved.



Now I'm moving on to a Shapely Tank to use up the Filati Must from my stash. It'll probably be a heavy tank, but it's an excuse to learn short-row shaping. And I ordered some Dale Svale from the Webs sale - in pink! My husband picked out the color for me - I rarely wear pink. I will use if for either Rosebud from Knitty or Pinup Queen from Stitch&Bitch.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like the cable trim, it makes a plain sweater look devine!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Bookish Wendy said...

Hi! Is your friend using Calmer or some other substitute? I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm still cracking up at the thought of "sex" instead of "sox".

:)

BTW - I knit up the shapely last summer...It's a fun one.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home